Saturday, June 30, 2007

Cougar Pride

I've never thought of myself as having much school spirit. Sure, I like going to BYU, but mostly because of all the friends I've met there. But during the last couple of weeks I've developed a great sense of pride for my alma mater.

Reason #1: The Honor Code.

Five minutes ago I was standing in our "living room" (it's more like an entryway with couches) combing through my wet hair, in my pajamas I should add. I hear a door open and expect to see either Kim or Lee-Wen walk by. Instead, the reflection I see in the mirror is masculine. What do you say to a boy who comes out of your roommate's bedroom at 9:30 in the morning? I said nothing. Now, I don't know that he did anything more than sleep on her floor, but still! I don't like having boys in my roommates' bedrooms, and I especially don't like them walking by me while I'm combing my hair. At least he didn't come out when I was walking from the bathroom to my bedroom in a towel!

Reason #2: Student employees.

I suppose that working at the Cougareat is not the most glamorous of jobs, but the people that work there don't seem to mind. They smile at you as you order your salad, telling them very specifically that you only want a little bit of chicken, and ask them to pick out the wilted spinach leaves, and woah, could you go light on the dressing. Here, however, most of the workers are NOT students, and not to bash them (after all, I did just write a post about how great people are, and I still think that) but they're not very efficient, and they certainly are not happy doing what they're doing. I somehow don't enjoy a sandwich as much when it's been given to me with a grunt and a glare.

Reason #3: Our mascot.

Our mascot is a Cougar. Their mascot is a Terrapin (in other words, a turtle). Need I say more?

7 comments:

lori said...

Oh, heath - I'm with you! Thank heaven (literally) for BYU! Whenever we leave to visit family/friends else where I'm reminded of how WONDERFUL our Provo life is!

Love you! Are they still working you guys to the ground?

jeanine said...

Oh Heather... I love being a cougar too! One of these days I need to get back up and there and visit.

lori said...

do you get home today??

lori said...

When do you come to Provo?

Unknown said...

Heath-we're so sorry we missed you on this trip where we were oh so reminded of how great BYU is...one dinner with a returned missionary, nice guy, good looking, attentive waiter was enough to make me get out of this crappy city!

Unknown said...

I'm at TCU right now for a music camp, and their mascot is the Horned Frog. Yeah.

Anonymous said...

Hurray for BYU! I haven't been to many other schools, but from what I have heard and seen, BYU definitely has a lot going for it. I am definitely grateful for the honor code too.