Tuesday, June 26, 2007

On bathrooms

The University of Maryland has a beautiful campus, and they work hard to care for it and keep it clean. It's an old campus, but they keep their facilities updated. For example, many of the bathrooms have high-tech features, such as automatic soap, automatic paper-towels, and automatic flushing toilets (maybe instead of "automatic" the correct term would be "motion-activated"?).

This is all very nice.

However to me the point of having automatic/motion-activated devices in bathrooms is to avoid the spreading of germs. If you have an automatic soap dispenser but no automatic water or paper towels (such as the bathroom by the concert hall), then you're recontaminating your hands. And if you have automatic flushing toilets but nothing else, well that didn't do you any good, did it? To me, the ideal is a bathroom with automatic everything--well, I could do without the soap actually.

Funny that I'm thinking about this so much. I'm actually not really one of those people that's paranoid about germs. I don't even open the bathroom door with a paper towel. I use my just-washed hands. I just think these bathrooms here are funny.

That's all.

5 comments:

Heather said...

You make me laugh...but you make a really good point. I haven't ever seen a bathroom with automated soap dispensers but everything else I have seen. I hope that you are having a great time there. Can't wait until you get back so we can hang out.

mcampbell said...

I feel as if I have just spent a late afternoon moment with you, rambling and chatting, while we sit lazily on a couch when we should be doing something else. I love you.

jeanine said...

oh heather... you make me laugh. this post reminds me of our days at southridge and all the random conversations we used to have...

Lindsay said...

I'm with Michelle and Jeanine -- reading this post made me think that if I turned around, I'd see you sitting on my couch. :)

Unknown said...

Heath-
do you know we're coming to Provo this weekend? are you in town? hope so!