“Humility is: Perpetual quietness of heart. It is to have no troubles. It is never to be fretted or vented, irritable or sore. To wonder at nothing done to me. To feel nothing done against me. It is to be at rest when nobody praises me or when I am blamed or despised. It is to have a blessed home in myself, where I can go in and shut the door and kneel to my Father in secret and be in peace as in a deep sea of calmness when all about is searing trouble.”–Dr. Black
You know, come to think of it I've probably shared that quote before on this blog. But it's been such a long time since I've thought of it, so I feel ok about posting it again. My favorite part is the last sentence. How do you have a blessed home in yourself? I think so often we look, as the quote suggests, for outside praise or outside sources of happiness. When really, we can go inside of ourselves, kneel to our Father in Heaven in prayer, and feel peace amidst any storm, any insecurity, any personal weakness, any sorrow, any hurt, and any feelings of guilt, shame, or remorse. Because real humility leads us to the knowledge that without our Father in Heaven and our Savior, we are nothing. But with them we can be anything. We can be forgiven. We can be loved. We can be happy. Actually, more than that, we can feel forgiven, we can feel loved, and we can feel happy, not just act happy.
If I may, here is another quote that is semi-related (also one which I may have quoted in the past), which is especially needful for me right now:
“We are so absorbed in ourselves–how we look and what we need and whether or not other people like us or think we are attractive or capable–that we have little time and energy to think about and serve others or to seek God’s will instead of our own.”–Wendy Top, Getting Past the Labels, p. 9 (she's my mission president's wife--a remarkable woman!)
Here's to feeling confident about our self-worth and our estimation in God's eyes (not to mention others' eyes, though we may not readily admit it), and to having more energy and emotional strength to serve others more fully. Love to you all!
11 comments:
Lovely post, Heather. And a topic I know I could use a dose of today. Thanks.
(By the way...we got your wedding announcement in the mail yesterday...the countdown is on!! :)
which old lady did you get the book from? I was gonna guess Gene cause she gave me a million books.
Love it and definitely something that I needed to hear today. Always struggling with ways to get "outside" praise. Thanks
It was actually from Juanita Schneider. I had to give a talk in district meeting and she pulled out at least 5 or 6 books and articles. Such a funny lady.
Excellent essay My Love! I just happened on to your blog.
I truly appreciated Sr. Top's quote. It is so very true.
ps........We got the most wonderful Wedding Invitation in the mail. Loved everything about it--especially the darling couple!!
We are praying we won't be in Ohio for the big day.
Wonderful ideas Heath! Wouldn't it be nice to ALWAYS feel that way? That is my new personal goal, to forget more about myself and what others think of me. Thanks for being so inspiring.
Heather, I loved both of those quotes and your thoughts... it's so true that sometimes we get so wrapped up in ourselves. This is just what I needed to hear. Thanks for sharing!
thanks for sharing the quotes and your thoughts. sometimes knowing that others struggle is all the strength we need ;o)
Thanks for that Heath... I needed that especially today.
this made me cry...needed it so badly. thanks friend
Love these words, Heather. Love your wisdom. Thanks, friend. Thinking of you often!
Post a Comment