On Thursday I took some of my nieces and nephews to Seven Peaks waterpark. When I went to pick up the kids, my sister hooked me up with a variety of great sunscreens (including one for your face that's SPF 70 with helioplex. I'm not sure what helioplex is but apparently it's the great new thing!). She even offered to do my back for me, but I declined and was just going to do it once I got there. Dumb Heather, dumb!
True to my word, I finished applying my sunscreen at Seven Peaks. I even got my ears and the tops of my feet. We spent a fun couple of hours in the water. It was a great time! Didn't feel worried about sunburn one bit.
Oh, but sunburnt I was. I noticed it immediately as I got out of the shower. The tops and backs of my shoulders were bright red! Apparently, my long arms didn't quite reach there. Well, a few sleepless nights later I'm here to admonish you to PLEASE, oh please wear your sunscreen. Put it on in front of a mirror so you know you're getting everywhere. It's just not worth it. We're at high risk in my family for skin cancer, and that's just a scary, scary thing.
If you're fair-skinned, blonde or a red-head, have blue eyes (green eyes too maybe), and especially if you have a history of skin cancer in your family, don't be dumb like me. I also heard recently that girls' legs are a danger spot because when you shave you take off a protective layer of skin exposing more delicate skin. If they're scary white like mine, keep them scary white. Ok? Let's all be in this together!
Sunday, July 22, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I'm so with you on this one, Heather. It only takes me about 15 minutes in the sun to burn and if I'm out for a few hours without sunscreen, I turn purple. No good. I'm scared to death of skin cancer since I've already had a few brushes with it (from moles, mostly, though the rest of my pale white self is just as susceptible), and I support sunscreen, with multiple reapplications, 100%. Hope your burn goes away soon.
HAA..."let's all be in this together"...ok, I'm still laughing. Not about your sunburn, or about your vitally important sunscreen reminder. Just about your writing. I LOVE YOU HEATH!
P.S. How was the concert? I think it's on BYU tonight. We've got Lucy all geared up to look for you! :)
Our family's motto is "apply, and reapply" I'm not joking. We're with you!
ha ha. This is especially great to me, given the last few nights of sleeplessness due to my own very red sunburn. ah, the sun.
whenever I think of hanging out in the sun for an extended period of time I think of Amy. She had gone to the beach and neglected to put sunscreen on because it was overcast. When she got home she told us how tan she had gotten... we told her that it was called "pink". She wouldn't believe us until the next morning when her legs were SWOLLEN because they were so burnt. Lesson: just because the sun isn't out doesn't mean you can't get burnt.
You could just not shave your legs to leave that protective layer of skin. :)
Post a Comment