Friday, February 1, 2008

Special privileges

I think I have one of the best callings in the Church. To be called, and set apart, as a musical missionary is a pretty cool deal. It has a lot of perks: I never have to attend committee meetings, I get to be on TV (which, come on, that's pretty cool), I always get tickets to General Conference, I have parking passes to both the Church Office Building and the Conference Center, plus a pass (with an unfortunate picture of me on it) that allows me through the secret tunnels, I have almost zero preparation (just show up and play), and we get to have up close and personal contact with general authorities.

Last night when I arrived to rehearsal, I was told that afterwards they were going to take us over to the Conference Center for a private viewing of President Hinckley. It was pretty neat. The orchestra got to go first, so it was not very crowded. Rather than being rushed through a line, we got to stay for awhile and ponder not only the greatness of this man, but think of the great Plan of Salvation which reminds us that though his earthly tabernacle remains, his spirit continues to live, and will someday be reunited with his body. When the choir came in, Elder Hinckley, President Hinckley's son, spoke to us for a few minutes. And then they had us sing a few songs: We Thank Thee O God for a Prophet, Abide with Me 'Tis Eventide, and God Be with You Till We Meet Again.

Also thought I should let you all know that the broadcast this Sunday is going to be a special tribute to President Hinckley. We're going to be playing some of his favorites and I think the Spoken Word is going to be about him. In any case, it will be a good broadcast. Sunday at 9:30.

9 comments:

jeanine said...

Wow Heath... what an awesome and unique experience! And, by the way, I'm a little jealous!

Brittney said...

wow, I thought my calling was cool.

Lindsay said...

How neat, Heather! I wish we could watch that Music and the Spoken Word...but with the time zone differences, we'll be in church when it's on the internet. Maybe they'll have rebroadcasts of it online? Hope so. Also am hoping that 1) the funeral is broadcast online and 2) maybe it will get rebroadcast because I don't know if we'll be home when it's on.

ROAST said...

I'm totally jealous especially since you ditched me all last night to have cool experiences.

Heather said...

Thank you Heath! I am jealous of your opportunity and wish that I had the means to get there today, but we are having a busy day. Your thoughts brought me to tears. I can't wait to see the services tomorrow and I will definitely be tuned into the broadcast Sunday morning! (Hope to see you on tv, it's always cool to see you!)

Need to get together!

lori said...

How wonderful, Heath!! I'm so so glad you had that opportunity! We'll be looking forward to the broadcast tomorrow. Love you, friend!

Unknown said...

Ahh!!! So jealous! And humbled by the image of such a beautiful moment you must have had.

lori said...

"I boughht the dress," you said.
WHICH one?? The one I saw? The first one? Or the one in SL???

Dying for details here friend...e-mail me!

Hart Troop said...

Okay, so I must be completely out of the loop but I didn't know you were engaged!!!! CONGRAULATIONS HEATHER! I could not be more excited for anyone! Yeah for you!!!

Sure love ya! Amy Hart