
You would not believe how cool that place is. First of all, it's free. And not free in the sense that when you walk in there is a donation box with a person behind it that won't let you pass unless you donate the suggested amount of $15 (have you ever been to one of those? I hate that!). And this week was especially exciting as they were celebrating their 30th Anniversary. The special anniversary event for Friday was going behind the scenes to see the hidden collections. We ended up on the insects tour--not the best choice it turns out, as the smell of chemicals was nauseating to the point where I was trying to breath through Royce's shirt to avoid passing out. But we saw some pretty cool dead bugs. Not as cool as this display though:
A butterfly made out of butterflies! Wow!At 7:30 they had a live animal show--Friday was supposed to be invertebrates, but instead we got reptiles. A fair exchange, I think. The host of the show, Matt, was super entertaining, but not as entertaining as the kids. We met Otis the Tortoise, Colonel Mustard the lizard, and a boa constrictor, whose name fails me. In any case, the kids asked the greatest questions, such as:
"Is that the kind of snake that shatters?" An incredulous Matt responds, "I've never heard of that kind of snake; it sounds awesome though." The kid: "You know. When their body shatters apart?" My question: is this a shattering snake that also reconstructs after it shatters?
Another one, in reference to Colonel Mustard who is a bearded dragon lizard: "Does it have fire in it?!" Unfortunately, no.
On the other hand, they asked some pretty intelligent questions, such as what each animals' predators were, which were the largest species of each animal, and what species could you find in Utah. I should clarify that these were primarily little boys. Go figure.
Royce had the brilliant idea of inviting the Trumans, who fortunately were able to come, which meant that we got to hang out with Lucy and like star-struck fans watch her every reaction and laugh at her every delight. Following the show, Lori was asking Lucy about the animals we had seen and asked her what color Colonel Mustard the lizard was.
Lori: "Was he yellow?"
Lucy: "No."
Lori: "What color of lizard is he?"
Lucy: "Kind of an orange-green lizard."
Oh. Both orange and green have yellow in them, so I guess that's not too far off.
Well folks, I was going to tell you what happened when I rolled for dinner, but this post is too long as it is, so you'll just have to wait in anxious suspense.
10 comments:
Sounds like a wonderful evening! And what a wonderful idea with the 20 sided dice! I think we should institute that here at the Cranes.
What a good solution to indecisiveness. I'll have to try that one.
Glad you had fun! Sounds like a cheerful sort of evening. Love.
I love that Royce keeps things interesting and fun. Can't wait to see you in about a month. Good luck with the rest of the planning. and please post soon about the dinner, I love to hear of your exciting tales.
Sounds like fun! I like the dice idea...We keep a bag with little folded papers in it. When we can't think of anything else for a date, we draw a paper from the bag. There are lots of different activities written on the papers for us to do. The outside of each paper is marked with an estimated short, medium, or long, so we know about how much time each activity will take. And I do know what you mean about the free museums that charge a donation...that is definitely annoying.
I love your dates! Make sure they stay just as exciting as you fall into the routine of married life.
Royce is always trying to get money out of people! Wish we could be there to double with you. Royce always had the best date ideas. You guys are putting us to shame.
I will have to totally agree with Lindsay...make sure your dates stay just as fun and interesting once you fall into the routine of married life. Also I got something really cool in the mail today!!! :) Can't wait!!!
I got your wedding announcement yesterday! YEA!
You guys crack me up! So glad you invited us!!
Lori
Hey, is Royce serious or is it an April Fools joke? (check his blog)
Post a Comment